Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Technology and our Right to Privacy

Today I read these two articles:
"Personal use of GPS trackers growing fast"
"Between Google and GPS, privacy takes a step backward"

Technology is progressing at such a fast pace that our rights are struggling to keep up. Reading about the Supreme Court case, which stated police are required to obtain a warrant before attaching a GPS tracker to someones car, gave me a feeling of great relief. I do not think anyone should be tracked by anyone unless they are aware, regardless of the circumstances. This includes businesses.
I understand that location-based information is extremely useful for institutions such as Google, but just because something sounds cool and resourceful does not necessarily mean it is good for the public. I feel very strongly about our individual rights to privacy, and do not think the business and technological world are paying them much attention or respect. However convenient it feels that when I search "shoes" in Google and a map appears on the side bar showing me where all the shoe stores in College Park are located, I would gladly give this up for Google to stop invading my privacy of e-mails, searches, calendars, etc. I think it is unfair that we are increasingly pressured by society to rely on technology such as Google (e.g. UMD using it as our school e-mail provider) but yet have no say in what they can or cannot see of my "personal" accounts.
The legal system moves too slowly to keep up with technological inventions, which are quickly released into society by businesses. The Supreme Court ruled against police using GPS trackers without a warrant some time within the past two weeks, but the court case that triggered this decision was in 2005! Yes, I do care about my right to privacy, and I know that a lot of other people do too. I appreciate Google's e-mails and notifications that it had changed its privacy policy, but I would appreciate more if my feelings had been taken into account in the first place.
I believe that even the smallest invasion of privacy takes affect on an individual, even if they do not even notice themselves. Whether its a business, your employer, or the government, knowing you are being watched is not a good feeling, even if you have nothing to hide. For example, employers are being convinced by businesses to track their fleets. How would you feel if you had to watch your speed every second of the day, knowing that if you went too fast you could risk losing your job? Are these drivers even being notified? I do not believe that the Supreme Court has ruled this as necessary, because a case has not been taken up. Even if it does, it will clearly take years for any difference to be made. Unless advanced technology can help speed up the legal system, it needs to slow down on its violation of rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment